Wednesday 21 December 2011

Dell PowerEdge 1600 SC

I've got a new machine for setting up a penetration testing lab at home. I just bought it recently for 50 Euro on a flea market and it was really a snip. It is a Dell PowerEdge 1600 SC.

Specification of my server:

2 x 2,8 Ghz Xeon CPU
4 x 1 GB ECC
Gigbabit Ethernet
1 x 32 GB Ultra 320 SCSI

After I checked the Windows XP installation on this machine (and I didn't found anything useful or interesting), I decided to install VMware ESX Server 3.5 immediately. This is the latest version that can be used on 32-Bit Hardware. Version 4 and 5 of ESX Server can only be operated on 64-Bit Hardware.

With this little hint by vm-help.com, I was able to install ESX Server 3.5 to an old 160 GB IDE HD.

Now I have an IDE datastore (datastore1) with 148 GB of space and a SCSI datastore (datastore2) with 29 GB of space.

Datastore2 will be used as space for ISOs, Datastore1 will be used as space for the virtual machines.

Links:
Official specification by Dell
Great information ressource for ESXi 3.5
Compatible Hardware with ESXi 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment